Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Dark Tower

This is a small segment of something I've been working on. I'm not really sure what it's going to be yet, except that it is a part of a bigger piece. Anyway, I like it and thought I'd share it.


It is in the shadow of this moonless midnight that the gunslinger sets forth from the barren wastelands in search of his menacing dark tower, and it is in this same moonless midnight hour that I set out on a quest of my own in search of the dark tower, my own dark tower. And just as he saw his so many years ago so many worlds away I now see mine looming, no leering at me, those twin spires gleaming like the fangs of a cobra about to strike its pray. And yet there is some greater force at work, a drawing force, a force that will not allow my minds eye to turn from the dark tower, titan object of my fate. I stare, so intently that as I gaze into the obsidian black I begin to see through the tower and back inside of myself, realizing that I am the dark tower, or at least a small part of it. I must reach the tower, and I must destroy it or unmake it and so unmake myself. But no, not unmake, remake. And in the unmaking of the tower I will remake myself, turning back the gnawing and ever growing infections that thrust forth snaked arms, the veiny tendrils of death itself that have wrapped their fatal arms around my heart and caged my mind with steely fingers, so like the bars of a prison, only intertwined among the maze of thought paths in my now tortured psyche.

No comments: