Sunday, October 19, 2008

War: What Is It Good For?

War is good for killing.
So why are we so surprised when our soldiers come back from combat and are involved in a high number of homicides and violent crimes? We want to come down and punish these men for their atrocities, but what have we done to assimilate them back into civilian life? We paid for their education of death with our own tax dollars. We sent them to war with the representatives we voted into office. And now we want to condemn them and throw them into prison. Do we understand what is going through their minds? Can we even begin to understand some of the things they have seen?
I am not condoning any atrocities that have been committed by veterans. These actions are still wrong and they must still have consequences. However, I would like to see more of an effort towards re-cilvilianizing our brave soldiers, killing machines though they may be. Truth be told, I am glad they are trained to be killers. They do their job well, and in so doing protect you and I. It is a job we can wish they did not have to do, but can be thankful that they do it well. And so, I tribute to our soldiers.

I’m going away, I’m going away to stay,
Say goodbye, Pack my bags, Let me go
I’m on my way, I’m leaving today.

Here I go to unknown lands,
Carrying my peacemaker in my hands.

I killed today, drew blood from the enemy’s hand,
Raised my piece, Squeezed a burst, All in thirst,
In the violence of things, I took lives today.

Here I am in unknown lands,
Carrying my peacemaker in my hands.

Ice runs through my veins, I can’t see the stains,
Smears of blood, Clots of mud, Adorn my tattered uniform,
I feel no more pain, War has deadened my brain.

I’ve gone away to unknown lands,
My peacemaker’s been active in my hands.

I’ll never come back now, You can’t tell me how,
It feels to sacrifice, Your very life, Or what it’s like,
To fill a vow, I can’t come back now.

It’s over for good in foreign lands,
My peacemaker’s quiet in my hands.

But that’s just fine,
For I’ve passed on in the line of duty,
Which called my name, Claimed my life, to end the strife,
Of a warring world, In unacknowledged valor.

I’m buried away in unknown lands,
My peacemaker rests silent in my hands.

3 comments:

Justus said...

I think that my thoughts on war have changed from a couple years ago. well, maybe not so much changed as clarified and thought through.

Justus said...

What are your thoughts on methodology for re-civilianizing them? More psychiatric on an individual level, or something like involving them in a productive way in their communities, or something else?

Zach said...

ever be able to find complete peace of body, soul, and mind. i think that this kind of assimilation back into society belongs in and should start in the church, though i think institutional or governmental programs could provide useful and supplemental. they will not however be adequate to service the spiritual aspect of our vets - a dimension which i am convinced is most crucial.